One of the best things you can do for yourself and the planet is to own a reusable water bottle. Using reusable stainless steel water bottles will help reduce single-use plastic and save the planet. It will not burn a hole in your pocket as you have to invest one time. The single-use plastic bottles are most likely leaching harmful chemicals into your water each time you drink and harm your body. Stainless steel reusable bottles are good for your health, planet and your pocket.
Headwaymade stainless steel drinkware is created for the above reasons. If you haven’t got one, get one. If you already have it, the following tips will help you clean and take care of your bottle to last as long as possible.
Why you should clean your bottle?
You may as well want to know why should clean your bottle. Your bottle is filled with water most of the time and the moist environment may become a home to mould and bacteria which can cause food poisoning or gastroenteritis. If you happen to fill your bottle with juices, ice tea, coffee, etc., you have to do a proper cleaning after every use.
How often do you need to clean your bottle?
It doesn’t matter even if you have been filling your bottle with clean drinking water only, the bacteria will still develop at some point in time. Though we recommend cleaning your bottle as much as possible, you can also check for signs like your bottle interior starts smelling musty or metallic, water doesn’t smell fresh then, it’s time. We also recommend washing your brand new bottle with warm soapy water before using it.
How to clean your bottle?
We generally tend to clean our bottle with warm soapy water most of the time but we have other effective methods to clean and sanitize as well. Let’s take a look at some.
Vinegar is an underrated non-toxic cleaning agent when it comes to cleaning grease and grime. A standard white vinegar has an acidity level that can destroy bacteria built up in your bottle. Give your bottle a rinse with vinegar when it starts smelling a little musty or when you get a new one.
- Add 2 tablespoons of vinegar into your water bottle, close the cap and give it a good shake for a minute.
- Fill your bottle halfway with warm water after the shake and clean it with a bottle brush to remove stubborn build-up.
- Close the bottle and give it another shake. Pour out the solution and rinse with plain water and you are good to go.
Baking soda is another cleaning agent that has anti-microbial properties. It’s effective for breaking down bacteria and moulds and removes odour from the bottle.
- Make a paste of baking soda and water.
- Apply the paste inside the bottle with the help of a bottle brush and let the mixture sit for 15 mins.
- Then rinse the bottle with hot water thoroughly. Keep the bottle upside down on a rack and let it air dry.
Food-grade Hydrogen peroxide refers to a specific dilution of Hydrogen peroxide that is 35% H2O2 and 65% water. The 35% solution is used by food industries to get rid of bacteria and microorganisms found in food packaging materials. The solution is safe to use for cleaning your bottle too.
- First, rinse your bottle with hot water.
- Use a bottle brush to apply the 35% solution of HP and give a little scrub inside the bottle.
- Put a little water and shake the bottle vigorously and then rinse with plain water. Leave it to air dry.
Apart from cleaning your bottle, make sure to clean your bottle brush as well from time to time. You can soak the brush in a bowl of the solution of the cleaning agents mentioned above. Rinse it, leave it to dry on a clean towel and keep it in a covered container after dry. Also, most of the stainless steel bottles are top-rack dishwashable, Headwaymade products too.
There you go, you have everything you need to know for cleaning your bottle squeaky clean free from germs.